Kumail Nanjiani’s Microsoft Word thinks his name should be spelled “Camel”. Born in Pakistan, he moved to Iowa at age 18, and his Pakistani heritage is explored in his one man show Unpronounceable. Since he started doing stand-up during his senior year of college, he has become a successful comic, doing appearances on The Late Show With David Letterman, Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, and Conan, where he shares his unique and hilarious take on everyday things such as amusement parks and video games. But don’t tell that to his father, who still wants him to be a doctor. In 2009, he was named one of Comedy Central’s breakout comics, along with names such as Aziz Ansari and Jon LaJoie. His comedy work also extends to acting on television, where he currently plays lawyer Pindar Singh on the TNT series Franklin & Bash, among other TV projects.
Five Things to Know About Kumail Nanjiani
- Kumail was raised a Muslim, but is now an atheist. He is only a little bit worried about a fatwa.
- His stand-up set was once interrupted by musician John Mayer, who wanted to do stand-up as well (Mayer ended up bombing).
- Before becoming a stand-up comic, Kumail was so shy he had a hard time even talking to the cashier at the grocery store.
- He voiced Prismo, an almighty being of infinite power on the show Adventure Time
- He plays Dungeons and Dragons with Community creator Dan Harmon on his podcast Harmontown.
Kumail Nanjiani will be appearing on Stage 773- The Pro on June 13, 14, and 15 at 10:00 PM.