Eight ways the classic comedy Groundhog Day influenced the world
February 2, 2013 is the dirty groundhog’s 127th prognostication. In Punxsutawney, Phil was been the “true” weather forecasting groundhog since 1886. Now, we are sure a few generations of the little rodents have come and gone over the course of the years, yet the tradition reaches over a dozen decades long.
We dug deeper to discover how the movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray left its impression on different parts of the world. In doing so we compiled the Top Eight ways this classic comedy made an mark in today’s society. Like the groundhog itself, the movie morphed into many different meanings over the years.
- The movie title itself has also been adapted into a phrase which is used by many. “Groundhog Day” is commonly used to reference an unpleasant situation that continually repeats itself.
- This phrase took its leap from everyday situations to high pressure war time situations with our US military. The phrase was used to explain an unchanging situation. The term was used frequently by military personnel in the Middle East and a speech by President Clinton even referenced the phrase when discussing Bosnia. “Groundhog Day” is now known as military slang for any day of tour of duty in Iraq.
- Official notarization and paperwork was obtained in 2006 when the film was added to the United States National Film Registry as being considered “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.”
- “Groundhog Day” has also become a concept of spiritual transcendence of Buddhists. Some see themes of selflessness and rebirth as a reflection of their own spiritual messages. It’s a stretch yet get this next one…
- … In the Catholic tradition, the sense of reliving cycles of life over and over has been seen as a representation of purgatory.
- On a lighter note, the movie was polled by over 1,500 people in June 2008 on AFI’s “Ten top Ten” – the best ten films in ten “classic” American film genres and Groundhog Day earned the eighth best film in the fantasy genre.
- Since the folks at Gobbler’s Knob in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania know their little gimmick is a joke, the set up a live web camera for folks to watch what the little rodent does this year. Fun festivities of keg stands and body shots stream live at 6AM.
- The term “Groundhog Day” is also considered a journey for self-improvement which focuses on the need to look inside oneself and discover that the only satisfaction in life comes from turning outward. The main goal is concerning oneself with others rather than concentrating solely on one’s own wants and wishes. Now that you feel like a piece of groundhog dung, go do something nice for somebody on this momentous occasion.