Dave Chappelle reportedly has onstage meltdown in Hartford [UPDATED] - The Laugh Button

X
  • Dave Chappelle reportedly has onstage meltdown in Hartford [UPDATED]

Although the Dave Chappelle-headlined Funny or Die Oddball Festival is only four dates old, it ran into some trouble tonight in Hartford. According to an audience member that was at the show, after performing for about 10 minutes, Chappelle stopped his routine, claiming that people in front were making too much noise. For the next 25 minutes, he sat on a stool, smoking, reading a book and making idle chat until he fulfilled his time allotment.

A check on Twitter reveals some disgruntled comedy fans. The caption to the above photo on Instagram reads “That’s Dave chappelle walking off stage after the Hartford crowd ruined the show and he left us without a show…”

Below are some tweets from concertgoers:

Yet amid all the disappointed tweets are some supporters. One Twitter user said “People in Hartford suck. Was at the Dave Chappelle show tonight and be couldn’t get a word out!” There are a handful of other tweets saying that the crowd was disrespectful and loud and Chappelle did the right thing by not performing, but they’re far outnumbered by those that want a refund and feel like they got ripped off. We’ll see if or how the rest of the tour continues.

UPDATE: Here’s some video of Chappelle’s performance shot by a YouTube user. In the beginning, he’s talking about one of Richard Pryor‘s final performances, which he opened for. That leads to the rest of his ‘performance.’ Did he rip off the crowd, or did they turn against him before giving him a chance to settle in to his groove? Let us know what you think in the comments section.

Update: At a later Oddball date Chappelle addressed the night stating that crowd was extremely unruly.

Be sure to like The Laugh Button on Facebook and see what we’re complaining about on follow us on Twitter. You can also sign up for our newsletter and get updates emailed to you as well as announcements about special goings on.

FROM AROUND THE WEB

Comments

Alexander Hirschl

I was there, it was the crowd not him.

Jimmy

I was there. Honestly, I’m not sure what to think. He should have contained the crowd. All he had to do was talk. It’s what he does best. Instead, he let the crowd dictate his set. Sad and unfortunate. He’s a professional. We, the people of Hartford are morons.

RobK

He should’ve kept on going. That’s what professionals do. Either way, the show as a whole was great.

MVC

I was there, as well: it was eerie. People were doing the usual shouting but he’s a 40 year-old man. He was either really tired/drunk/high or something and clearly didn’t want to perform. He can blame it on people shouting all he wants, but during the short bits when he talked people shut up and listened. Sad to have seen.

Dustin

It was absolutely not the crowd entirely, when a comedian of his stature comes out of retirement of course people are gonna say I love you and what not but it was not that bad honestly. he told a couple funny jokes for about five minutes and then stopped which was fine. He seemed to be doing it to get the crowd to stop and they did stop but when the guy you pay good money to see just sits there dead silent for a good minute or so with 8,000 people there of course that silence will be lost with a few idiots yelling whooo or whatever. Seriously count out a minute and a half in your head of complete silence, it felt like forever. That being said I am a big fan of comedy and I said I’m going to ride this out and see what happens aka this could be historic final performance or something. Then he lost me completely, he flipped off the crowd, said it was the worst crowd he’s ever seen and that he was just going to sit there for 25 minutes until he fulfilled his time and thanked us for the money we spent because he needed it. What a total a-hole. He seemed like he was on something stronger than weed and admitted to us this was a giant money grab for him because he needed it and pointed out he didn’t care about us because he was smart enough to get paid before the tour. I honestly couldn’t believe what I was hearing and seeing, it was mind boggling. I hate to say it but this tour may be coming to an end very soon. I can’t imagine these other great comics will want to be associated with what happened tonight and I think Dave is severely depressed and needs help. Many comics die to young because of depression and drugs and that’s what it looked like tonight, almost like he and his career were dying right in front of us. People did get pissed and heckle hard at the end but that was as they were walking out of a show they paid good money to see and had the headliner do nothing but sit there and smoke butts. I won’t say the show was a loss for me because the others were great but there is no way this tour makes it all the way through.

Justin Stewart

Don't blame the crowd, they drove there and paid good money to see you. He stopped because the crowd was making too much noise? What a crock of shit. We want our money back.

Adisa Novah Moswen-Harkless

New Slaves indeed..

Adisa Novah Moswen-Harkless

Besides, where was security?

the great wall of china

I sat in the 3rd row. For the record, Dave just did not feel it tonight, and so he just decided not to make an effort. It would be a misrepresentation to say that the crowd was different or atypical of a several-thousand-capacity venue that has been serving alcohol for over 4 hours. Every orchard has a few bad apples… Dave just did not feel compelled enough to ignore the comments of that select few hecklers. He was blindsided when someone yelled ‘Oprah!’ and he just let it slide downhill. Hartford is not Austin, nor Dallas, and it certainly is not NYC or Boston… but take turning 40 last week, add 8 years of absence, throw in some whining about not being in Ohio while poorly emulating Pryor, and multiply against Oprah kryptonite… and you have comedy’s version of a hot mess. Dave, you forgot that you have a responsibility to yourself to be this generations voice of comic genius. Your panties are in a bunch, and if you ever come back, make it up to everyone who bought a ticket, including this Moron writing this comment who drove 3 hours after hiring a sitter because he felt a responsibility to get your back. In the meanwhile, don’t slam the bus door against your vaginha on the way to Holmdel and Camden.

Jesse Lashway

So was I and you're out of your mind.

Kevin D.

I was there too… I thought the Damon Wayans story he told summed up the entire situation perfectly.

For those that weren’t there he told a story about watching Damon Wayans trying to perform a set and people kept yelling at him to do Homey the Clown. He kept trying to do his act, but people wouldn’t stop yelling things out and trying him to get him to do the old stuff. So Damon Wayans farted in the mic, said “Homey don’t play that” and walked off stage. I believe the only thing Dave could not muster tonight was a good fart when he needed one.
    To be honest I thought his actions were a great commentary on the crowd, about why he took the break, and about how much the price of fame really has taken the toll on him. “For those that won’t stop yelling go home and look in the mirror and understand that you did this yourself. This is your fault.” I mean, hell, he spent 10 minutes talking to that woman that was sitting in the front about her book who CLEARLY was there more to promote her book as anything. She didn’t give a damn about anyone else there.
    Tonight we saw one of the funniest 3 people (IMO) to have ever lived and graced a stage get booed and shouted at because he didn’t want to have to compete with people shouting things at him about “Half Baked” and “Oprah”, etc… He’s Dave Chappelle, people, he didn’t need your help.
    Got tickets to the NJ show in 2 weeks. Can’t wait to see how that one goes..
    And for the record I would probably pay $100 bucks again to see him sit on a stool, smoke and just talk. Every day of the week. Remember folks, why you paid your money to go see him. You didn’t pay to be a part of the show.

Jon

You go on stage and try to do a comedy routine with people yelling random crap at you every time you open your mouth. He tried multiple times to get through it but every time he started talking someone screamed something at him and got him off track. There’s a reason why you get thrown out of comedy clubs for being loud and obnoxious, chappelle did what he had to and it was still funny to hear him tear down the idiots.

Jules

The Richard Pryor story happened after he started insulting us, he deserved what the crowd was giving him at that point.

PoopsMagee

I’ve seen numerous sold out comedy shows in major venue’s with thousands of seats, and never heard people yelling and interfering like this. This isn’t atypical of a rock concert or a music festival, but a comedy show?? Those few morons yelling and trying to be funny ruined the entire show for everyone else. Should Dave have just stopped, thereby depriving the well behaved people of their experience? Probably not. But I can’t say I blame him.

And for the record, absolutely positively NOBODY thinks hecklers, or whatever the noisy attention whores at comedy shows want to be called, are funny. Not clever, not “participating”, just fucking annoying. If this is you, then please just wait and watch the show at home so you can avoid spoiling shows for everyone around you, or in this case everyone in the entire venue.

Looking forward to seeing you in September Dave

Jules

The crowd was fine until he started insulting us.

PoopsMagee

So he started insulting the crowd completely unprovoked? I find that rather hard to believe, and even if he was insulting the crowd, it’s important to keep one thing in mind: You’re at a stand-up comedy show. This guy is performing an act. It’s what you paid to see. It’s crucial you don’t take anything he says personally. If you go see a stand up comic you should just be prepared to hear everything from a mild crack about your home town to the comic telling the crowd he just fucked all your mothers.

Like I said, it’s not fair what he did to the people who were politely listening, just saying I see how he could feel overwhelmed and react the way he did. Not justifying, just understanding.

ceeza

screaming “i’m rick james bi*ch” at him and you expect him to not insult you? Hartford people are trash

PoopsMagee

And another thought occurred to me. While it is really unfortunate that Hartford was deprived of the material Dave had prepared for this tour, look at it this way: You all just witnessed the biggest stand up meltdown since Michael Richards in 2006. You’ll get to hear the material sooner or later, but until then you’ll be able to say “yeah man, I was there. It was insane.”

So I guess that’s worth something, no?

ceeza

that wasn’t a “meltdown” ya idiot.. that was a f you mic drop..

PoopsMagee

I guess it’s all a matter of opinion. I would imagine an “f you mic drop” would look more like a comic actually dropping the mic and leaving. When a comic decides to stop performing and wind down the clock to fulfill his contract, then proceed to sigh and say things like “I’m never coming back from this man. No, no, I’m never coming back from this. This was like… This was a fuckin nightmare” it doesn’t appear to me that he has 100% confidence in his decision. But again, that’s just my opinion.

Josh Goulart

i was there as well, its wasnt all the crowd. at all. Few peopel were vocally loud in cheering him. He could have handled it better =

Harlem

I’m just back from watching DAVE CHAPPELLE. HE DIDN’T MELT DOWN – He rose up & served a BIG OL’ PIMP SLAP to the unruly Oddball crowd who were truly unworthy of his material. Disrespect heckles like, “Go back to Africa” yielded the just reaction. Chappelle held his head, flipped the audience the bird & let the clock tick down to fulfill his contract. Love to you Dave! Hartford, Connecticut…gimme dem shoes & get ya head right!

WilliamWeishaupt

I spent $100 and drove three hours in some of the most worst traffic I’ve seen in my life just to see Dave Chappelle. I didn’t have a sip of booze and sat there respectfully quiet all evening. I didn’t deserve to be “pimp slapped”, as you put it.

99% of that crowd was acting appropriately. Dave Chappelle is a professional comedian. You don’t become a professional comedian and last as long as Chappelle without learning how to properly shoot down hecklers and defuse rowdy crowds. It’s just part of the business. I’m sorry, but when an experienced comedian such as Dave Chappelle feels he needs to “pimp slap” an audience that paid good money (and was, for the most part, respectful), all because he couldn’t handle a few hecklers who had probably been drinking since the doors opened five or so hours earlier… it’s a meltdown.

ceeza

i love how you somehow think properly shooting down hecklers is part of a comedians job description.. It’s not! The meltdown is on the crowds behalf not his.. You are not there to direct . Idiots..

WilliamWeishaupt

It is part of the job description though — every job has its unpleasant aspects and that is the unpleasant aspect of being a professional comedian. This is part of why not just anyone with a great sense of humor and a wonderful sense of timing can be a professional comedian. It is the reason why “professional comedian” is a relatively rare profession and hence why they get paid what they do.

Don’t think for a second that it is like you or me getting up on that stage. Chappelle is a seasoned performer who has been doing this for a couple decades now. I assure you, he has been heckled many times and has been heckled far worse than he was last night — all professional comedians deal with it and part of the business is learning to defuse it. The fact that he was unable to do so last night tells me something else was up.

There is no excuse for heckling. That, however, is not the whole story regarding what happened last night.

WilliamWeishaupt

To put this in perspective, I a while back I worked at an attraction at a well known theme park in Florida. Part of my job involved working a pre-show that involved performing for and entertaining larger groups of people than most people would be comfortable with. Sometimes people in those groups would be drunk and sometimes they would heckle and be quite abusive. It was probably the worst part of the job and, sure, I shouldn’t have had to deal with it as it wasn’t in the “official job description”… but I knew, going in, that it was something I would have to deal with. That is part of being an entertainer.

I am not saying heckling is right. I’ve been heckled. It sucks and it’s not like you get into entertainment saying, “Gosh, I hope someone heckles me today!” But when you entertain groups of people you find ways to deal with it or you don’t last, just like people in the military have to deal with getting shot at or firefighters deal with flaming debris. It’s one of the less glamorous parts of the job.

Suprised

Things were great and then after 5 minutes, Dave told a joke that didn’t get any laughs. He said something like “5 minutes on stage and I’m met with silence.” After that it seemed he left more silence and a few jerks filled those silences. If he had continued and told some more JOKES I don’t think we would have HEARD the people that yelled out “Half Baked” or a past skit’s name, or “we Love you Dave”. I think Dave was pissed from minute 5.
    AND The article is misleading. Dave didn’t start off with the Richard Pryor story. The above video was after he had sat down on the stage and informed us that he had enough smokes and water to last for the little over 15 minutes left contractually…and then he sat there….AND SAT THERE AND SAT THERE. He said he could NIGHT deposit our money, “cause they have that!”.(which, was kinda funny) Then he grabbed the stool and finished with these last 13 minutes of above video. By this time the crowd was done. I was on my way out during his “You think I don’t have new material” line @ 4 minutes on the top video…it was WELL into his “act”, not 4 minutes out. I’ve heard more “yell outs’ at most other shows because they don’t test for douchiness at the gate. However, if an act performs…there is no
    outlet nor audience for the dumba$$es who want to hear themselves scream out “Half-Baked.” By halfway, there were LOUD boos, but by then Dave had stopped performing and was sitting on the floor, just yelling at the audience…all of us ;(
    It was really sad, because I love Chapelle’s comedy. I laughed at his jokes when he came out, don’t actually remember the joke that fell flat, and sat shocked for the rest.
    My thanks to the rest of the tour partners (Yay Conchords et al!) for making this a good evening and my pities for their pocketbooks if Dave continues this way.

Tyquan Vern

I paid over $200 for my tickets, and I’m disgusted. He played us. It’s an event, there’s going to be noise, and the fact that he refused to perform until the audience was completely silent is ridiculous. He has no class, nor any respect for the people who helped to make him the super star thst he is.

James Perez

That’s what happens when dumbass people tailgate a fucking show for hours getting blasted and think their on cloud nine when in actuality they are 2 minutes from getting their ass kicked. Yeah I was there and though I really wanted to hear his material after seeing how the crowd was even before he went on, they didn’t deserve nor were they ready for his brilliance. Why you think no one goes to Hartford unless its the Casinos for the most part. The state is whack as well as the people apparently. Make your money here then bounce!!!

jtiddy

As I like to call them folks in Connecticut…..”Connectic*nts.”….

James Perez

That's what happens when dumbass people tailgate a fucking show for hours getting blasted and think their on cloud nine when in actuality they are 2 minutes from getting their ass kicked. Yeah I was there and though I really wanted to hear his material after seeing how the crowd was even before he went on, they didn't deserve nor were they ready for his brilliance. Why you think no one goes to Hartford unless its the Casinos for the most part. The state is whack as well as the people apparently. Make your money here then bounce!

Jonathan Nathan

A comedy show isn't a rock show. There's an etiquette. You're going to hear somebody talk. Like literally that's what you're going to see. If you can't shut the fuck up and let a guy perform, then you really should just stay home and watch the DVD.

AsaC

I was there and it was all Dave. Don’t buy the BS from Dave on stage. Read the reports from earlier tour stops. He did the same thing, basically. He has ten minutes of material, by all reports, so he didn’t prepare for the tour. Then he doubly insults the crowd by blaming them. Super sad. Sad for all the people like me who think of Chapelle as a true legend, and for Dave himself. Now I know what went wrong at the end of his TV show. he doesn’t want to perform, and he’s nuts.
    By the way, the so-called heckling was mostly just people at an outdoor festival yelling I love you Dave, or catchphrases from his show, to fill the awkward minutes when Dave was silent. It was super-bizarre. In fact, most people thought he was just joking, and we all sat there for 20 minutes while he did nothing on stage, until he actually walked off. He said he was waiting until he had fulfilled his contract, which was 25 minutes, and that’s exactly what he did.
    What an unprofessional a–hole.

Keepin It Real in Hartford

Amen
    Dave the D Bag

Brad

I was there too. Dave was totally unprepared, and like another commenter said, just not feeling it. The other acts were great and had no problems at all with the crowd. Dave was unprepared, and the small bit of material he did have was uninteresting and self-indulgent. I’m lad he wasn’t the act I had wanted to see anyway.

The Gossip Structure

They were obviously going to heckle Dave more because of his trademark lines and his level of fame. so you can stop with that POV

[…] The Laugh Button is reporting that comedian Dave Chappelle walked off a Hartford stage Thursday night during the Oddball Comedy & Curiosity Festival after having to deal with a noisy, heckling crowd. According to audience members, Chappelle stopped his routine after about ten minutes, claiming that people in front were making too much noise. He then proceeded to sit on a stool, smoking, reading a book and making idle chat until his set time was up. […]

Michael Allen

This is fucking brilliant. Straight up Andy Kaufman.

Rick Shagoury

I was also there, and I think it was roughly 50/50 in the blame department. However, WE paid HIM. HE is the professional, and should have handled this far better. His reaction only made things worse and worse as the set went on.

BigMike DeManche

No casinos in Hartford genius

Durian

Bullshit, I was near the front row and the people all aorund me were fking screaming a load of bullshit at him. It was really fucking annoying and I don’t blame him in the least. In fact I wanted to punch this one dude in the back of the head, couldn’t even hear half the things he was saying.

Jeff Purchner

at keast the other comedians on the tour are having a successful run off of this.

The Gossip Structure

Perfect. Comedians hate hecklers. all these noobie stand up comedy audience members that say “he could’ve handled it better” tell me how. it seems like you were all warned by him to settle down, even the events twitter sent out a tweet warning you that as a crowd you were being assholes and to quiet down. I praise him for doing that. idiots

Tazer79

I was at the Houston show, and people were yelling a few things, like “Where have you been” “You been hitting the weights” ect, and he was really cool and riffed off those a bit. But his material wasn’t there, and it was apparent. I feel OK about it, but not great.

Doug Stanhope

Great story based on those tweeting during the show and updated with those bootlegging the show. Great work.

Ryan Grimes

Fuck all those people , Dave's the man

Ryan Grimes

Fuck all those people , Dave's the man

Ryan Grimes

Fuck all those people , Dave's the man

Adam Haisley

Dave read a book and smoked because the crowd sucked. Andy Kaufman read books to shitty audiences and people call him legend.

Brandon Endicott

I wasn't there and im the only one willing to admit that so i can have an opinion on this.

Brandon Endicott

Brandon Endicott

Verne Innhel

I wouldn't call it a "meltdown." Far from it. His act was disrupted by some disrespectful people so he said "fuck it." Blame those assholes, not him.

Josh Merrell

Dave didn't melt down. He just was getting heckled badly and stopped the show. It sucks that some people will ruin it for the rest of them. That was a huge audience to let down over a few asshats that should have been kicked out by security.

Michael Hopper

I may be WAY the fuck off base here, Doug, but aren't unruly audiences part of stand up? It fucking happens. This dude walked off his own show when things got uncomfortable and now I'm supposed to feel what… sorry for him? Pissed off that he got crap-hammered by a bunch of dick weeds in the seats? If you don't want to get heckled there's a lot of other things to do in life, dude…

Kraig Oliver

Lets blame white america for a comedian having created his own repertoire of catchphrases. Im sure gary coleman would have lovedsome of that "whatchu talkin bout willis" dollar when he was working minimum wage jobs. Comedians are entertainers. Its a chosen profession. If you cant entertain, maybe its the audience, or maybe to quote doug "youre just outta shit"

Wes Hedger

Michael Hopper: If I went to a play starring Hugh Grant, I would be expected to sit calmly and quietly through the performance. If I started to yell things about Divine Brown towards the stage, I'd be thrown out immediately. Comedy is a performance. Some people like to engage the audience and encourage participation. That's not what Chappelle was doing. Regardless of whether you feel sorry for him or not, as an audience member, you are expected to act with a slight sense of decorum and not as the mouth breathing neanderthal you truly are.

Wes Hedger

Wes Hedger

All of that said, you have to expect that a festival type crowd is going to be horrible for comedy. Honestly, if he wants calm and decent crowds, stick to theaters or clubs.

Nikhil Jayadevan

Sorry to butt in but Andy Kaufman read out the whole of The Great Gatsby on multiple occasions for different reasons, only one of which was because he was "pissed" at the audience. The other times, it was likely done for comedic purposes.

Also, Michael, the problem seems that the heckling was racially motivated. I'm quoting here:

"Chappelle wasn’t having a meltdown. This was a Black artist shrugging the weight of White consumption, deciding when enough was enough. This isn’t the first time Chappelle has done so and it isn’t the first time his behavior has been characterized as a meltdown.
    There is a long history of asking African-Americans to endure racism silently; it’s characterized as grace, as strength. Chappelle’s Connecticut audience, made up of largely young White males, demanded a shuck and jive. Men who seemed to have missed the fine satire of the Chappelle show demanded he do characters who, out of the context of the show look more like more racist tropes, than mockery of America’s belief in them."

Dan Prado

I'm from outside Hartford.. And yea the people here suck. But you've got to expect some bad nuts in a crowd of 30K. Watch the bill burr Philly incident that's how you handle hecklers

Christine Stover

He's supposed to be in Detroit on Sunday. We have tickets. He better get his act together or I want a refund.

Jonny Lawrence

Really like dave chapelle but why is he doing these big shows in the first place? Your always going to get a shit crowd at a festival, they've paid to have the bullshit rammed down their throats. Comedy doesnt work in big venues, you might as well be watching it on tv, it's all about the small venues, the raw live vibe is where the magic happens.

Jopa Torres

of course ebony reports it as a race issue; its a fucking intelligence issue. most people are dumb and loud.

RedScourge

What I don’t understand is if the problem was the crowd, why didn’t the staff handle it?

Keepin It Real in Hartford

Musta been scared of those little white drunk suburbanites. Hahahahaha

Mack Entosh

Difference between Corporate comics-(Chappelle, Cook, Cable Guy, Foxworthy, Mencia, Rock) and Pros- (Stanhope, Rogan, Ari, Cummings, C.K., Glass) Pros write their own material and can shut a heckler down. Corp. have writers and in the face of a heckler, fold. They cant think off script. Leno, Lettermann, Colbert, Stewart are funny because of the writers. Granted they still have to have delivery, they dont have to come up with the material. Corpmedians only play huge venues, are sell outs. The shit hole clubs are where the real talent is.

Mack Entosh

Kevin Anderson

everyone wants to be a fucking critic now

Sarah Wilkens

So long as he doesn't make a movie crying about it like Jamie Kennedy, he still has my respect.

Michael Hopper

Wes, sorry, man, I disagree. I've been to a ton of stand up show in theaters and clubs and most times the audiences are great, and sometimes they are liquored up buffoons. That's the nature of the business. If every comedian that got heckled walked off stage and couldn't deal with it, there wouldn't be any stand up comics in the world. I'm not defending the a-holes in the audience, but it freaking happens. Often.

Aaron Garcia

what is professionalism? it is not cutting your show short that way

Scott Yttocs

Unless they were yelling racial epithets I don't see how this was racially motivated.

What then is Phillies excuse for the Irrera/Burr incident?

Cameron Green

Wow Jamila, basically he was telling a noisy crowd to fuck themselves, somehow you've turned it into a racial issue….Typical

Mad Mountain

Bah,he just seemed bored.Now Bill Burr in Philly,that was fucking gold.

Mad Mountain

Bah,he just seemed bored.Now Bill Burr in Philly,that was fucking gold.

James Longley Jr.

I feel for Dave. I really do. I am a big fan…and, like so many comedians, he really does a great job at articulating what a fucked up world we live in.

Jo Sprint

Similar to Doug in Bradford at Georges Hall last year. Ten minutes in and he simply got angry and didn't do much else all because his girl caused some trouble at the back of the theatre. Felt more than a little ripped off because I'd waited years to see my third favourite stand up and it wasn't exactly cheap, but I expected a little more professionalism. Come back Doug and do it again. Bill Hicks has a famous show where he screams at the audience then sits down and doesn't continue. I guess they all have their days.

Rahja Lane Ellington

One of the rare times I'm glad someone was recording during a show. Meltdown my ass!

Michael Hopper

And this is not a racial issue. Not by any stretch of the imagination. This cat folded under intense heat… that's all.

Pat ChalupaBatman

man people are stupid

Ctb Nerdgear

So, where's the meltdown?

Anthony Kingdom James

@MichaelHopper – "part of stand up"? BULLSHIT. It's a show. Sit and watch the show and laugh and have fun. Don't interrupt the show with selfish bullshit. You wouldn't yell at a Cirque du Soleil or a Broadway musical. Afford the comedian the same BASIC COURTESY that you would a 7 year old playing "tree #2" in a grade school play.

Harold Umber

@Micheal hopper you obviously don't understand stand up comedy. Hecklers aren't part of comedy. Their retards. If your going to be an audience member learn to just sit and be quiet. I'm happy dave stopped the show those people we're assholes.

Plyer Tenner

Rick James bitch!!! Remember that? RICK JAMES BITCH!

Dave Rogers

I watched Dave laugh like a hyena at the Comedy Cellar as Dave Attell abused the crowd for not laughing at Attell's bad set. The crowd wasn't out of line that night at all. Hecklers do suck ass tho.

Rhys Campbell

shit can happen when there's THAT many people in the crowd. I hope he can dust this off easy and continue entertaining the people who want it.

Matt Tuskes

He did that same shit in Sacramento in front of a sold out auditorium. A couple people kept yelling "I'M RICK JAMES BITCH" a few minutes into his set so he told that same Homey the Clown story he's told a bunch of times and walked off stage.

James Rudolph

fuck all you long winded faggots. that's the problem with comedy.

David Redden

Just being there that night, witnessing that sort of weirdness, is worth the ticket price. Whats the better story, telling people you saw Dave Chapelle, or being able to tell people you were at the legendary Dave Chapelle show where Mack mamma was discovered?

Steve Eykel

How the hell do you get a black guy to be quiet in a theater?

Matt Ryan

bliblidy blah blah i know what i am talking about because i know what everyone is thinking, i took a year of psychology and read a blog blooh la de doo de da blah

Stunned in Hartford

The crowd was excited to see Dave and they did settled down when he stopped to wait. But Dave refused to continue once he stopped. As any teacher knows, you wait until the kids are quiet, but then you start back up. Dave blew it, and he will again on this tour proving it was his attitude, not Hartfords that took down the show. Dave is lucky he had such an awesome reception after walking out 5 years ago. He is an unappreciative, unprofessional performer. I would be afraid to pay to see him again. I was there, I was sober, I’m a teacher and he was wrong. He needs to perform in Libraries where silence is expected. And how happy will he be when no one acts excited to see him? He may find out.

Keepin It Real in Hartford

Must not have met up with Tyrone in time for the show. What a loser

Mike Macias

I saw Dave in Fresno around the 2nd season of his show. His stand up was (sadly) pretty much exactly like this. I think he is just working out. If he does this during an HBO special I'd call it a meltdown.

Hunter Arden

So, they paid $50 to see Dave and then talked the whole time. Makes sense. I never understood why people would yell requests at comedians. If you already know the bit, who the fuck wants to hear it again?

Steve Eykel

This is huge news. Hartford has discovered a way to get a black guy to shut up in a theater!

Nick Linscott

Future generations will look back at us and despise us

Jordon Myers

Adam Haisley I agree with you.

Sean

Money well spent.
    Dave stood his ground and it just makes him a better artist.

Jameson Shadix

Dave has too much fucking pride! just get on stage do your show, we all know you're or you aren't a little crazy, but don't let shit happen like this you over-exaggerated passive-aggressive-Ego fuck! Dave you are a great comedian, it just seems like I hear more bull shit like this from you and NO other comedian EVER, Go fuck ya selves.

Joey Gilio

Saw Dave in SF recently at a smaller venue and he killed it. He should just stick to smaller crowds

John Closs

I saw Stanhope perform in a stinky, sweaty, hole in Ottawa a week and a half ago…for the most part, he put on a great set. That was when he wasn't being interrupted by obnoxious assholes in the crowd. Of course there are times when a comic brilliantly shuts a heckler down. Comics are funny people, so they tend to have the ability to put most people in their places….but other times, the heckler will yell something out while you're 3/4 though a set up…..and the thing that was yelled was so absurd, that the comic flat out loses their train of thought. I've seen it happen to one of the best performers on earth with my own eyes within the past 2 weeks.
    Plenty of folks feel a sense of entitlement when they buy a ticket to a comedy show. They shouldn't.
    If the comic wants to involve you in the show, he'll look at you and say something. Otherwise, sit back, shut your mouth, and laugh when appropriate.

And for anyone bitching about getting their money back for Chappelle's 'meltdown'? He's a legend….
    This was one of the defining shows in his 20ish year career.
    I kinda wish i had been there.

Mysty Moon

When Doug came to our small city by the sea, one dude heckled for about a second… Doug asked what did you say? The entire place told the heckler guy to shut the fuck up… he did, Doug continued his set… was a nice night full of laughter. >_<

Halo Twister

Doug, aren't you the same one that has berated countless people for videotaping live performances? Now they did great work? What, are you slipping in your old age? Fuck.

Madana Movahed-Oliva

Thanks for standing for Chappell. He's real like you and tells it like it is. We need to meet I'm in Sierra Vista and I know where you are and some of your friends. Keep OM be real with a twist of pain. You are a genius. Really

Logan Via

The fans should be refunded and the hecklers should learn to keep their mouths shut. Heckling is one of the most idiotic things you can do ever. You pay money especially a big ticket like Chappelle's to see him perform not hear you yell out praise or boo's. Just clap or don't clap, that's all.

Derek Ayers

Jaeger

Kenny Kaczynski

halo twister are you autistic

Baobab Bonsai

Is there no fucking security in this venue? Kick the obnoxious fucks out of the theater.

Kim Glass

Why was there no security? I've been to comedy shows before – if you yell shit at the performer, your ass gets thrown out, even at small venues. No one pays to hear drunken twats who aren't funny scream out their frustrations at being mediocre nobodies.

Darren Staley

There are only two correct responses from the audience at a comedy show, unless they are asked a direct question: applause and laughter.

Zo O'Falan

People should just shut the fuck up when you're at a show, I am glad Dave walked off, he should have. Dave Chappelle is one of the best stand-ups ever, I was fortunate enough to see him right before the Chappelle show was launched at Caroloines, top 5 standup performances I have ever seen. I hope assholes don't show up at the Hartford show for Stanhope in October….

John Tsouris

How is this a meltdown?

Charlemange Fezza

So did these fuckwads pay to hear the show or to hear themselves? The hell with these drunk, obnoxious fratboys. Tossing pearls to swine. Chappelle doesn't owe these cunts shit.

John Tsouris

I was in GoBananas Cincinnati once and I watched Stanhope handle a pissed off old crank in the front row by telling the guy if he didn't like the show, then it was the guy's turn to tell jokes. Then he jammed the microphone in the cranky guy's hand, slumped down in an empty seat next to the guy, crossed his arms and put a BIG grumpy frown on his face, and waited for the guy to do better. The crowd ate it up!

Julian Rushton-Givens

It's not a meltdown, the fans just suck. They shouldn't post about it on twitter, they should've just shut up when they noticed he couldn't even talk.
    Newsflash: if your yelling at a comedian, he tells you that you're too loud, and he sits down and starts reading a book instead of performing, that's your cue to shut your stupid pie-hole, not to boo like a retarded sheep.

Lucas Martin

my guess is that it was all planned from the start. you dont bring a book on stage with you unless you plan to read it.

Lucas Martin

this was planned. he brought a book on stage with him. you don't bring a book on stage unless you plan to read it.

Cory Carter

oh no, my 50$ is gone cause some uneducated, racist, ego maniac who wants the show to be about him was in the front row yelling inappropriate shit and old one liners at a legendary comedian.. BLORT! Next time someone is being a douchenozzle in front of you at a show, how about you politely tell them to shut the fuck up, and make an effort to get security to drag their probably drunk ass out back. If not, hit them as hard as you can in the back of the fucking head and act like it wasn't you. Either way, the audience weeds the shit heads out, do your fucking job Hartford.

chris

comedy is an art , if you think this is about you paying him to perform you need to shut the fuck up and think about your life because you clearly have no sense of value. Selfish, fuck your money hes a human being not a puppet you cant just pull his strings and make him dance. You either respect dave as a professional and give him what he deserves or shut up and move along

Mike Mc Gowan

Michael Hopper love all the replies by people who aren't comics

Timmothy Green

is alex available to lend him a hand?

Mike Driscoll

This is why Eddie Murphy stopped doing comedy :>

Mike Driscoll

I guess Abba Zabba IS his only friend now

Mike Driscoll

ok.. after actually watching it.. DOn't call this a meltdown.. He had 15 minutes of Material and they wanted him to do 30.. He got heckled a bunch and didn't kill em softly :>

amused

Comedy and standup is a form of theater. Like any theater you need to go and watch and laugh. The only time you talk is if they start asking the crowd questions. They broke the social contract on this before he did and they got what the deserved.

Raphi Barakat

The greatest callback in stand-up history.

Chris Bussey

My old roommate saw him here in Reno back in '05, shortly before his infamous disappearance. He said the audience of dumb, drunk, stoned college kids kept shouting "I'm Rick James, bitch!" at the tops of their lungs. Chappelle called them the craziest audience he'd ever had and walked off. Nice to see that the disrespect and stupidity have only metastasized in recent years.

Chris Bussey

Ulrich Sondermann

He's done this before at a show in Reno a few years ago, he told 2 jokes and then talked with a guy from the audience the rest of the "show". Stay away from his live shows, a rip off.

Ulrich Sondermann

Jacobb Wahl Byers

he must have heard a fan scream "I'M RICK JAMES BITCH" for the trillionth fucking time.

Tony Turner

Comedian's are the new "golfers". Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, he's "trying to perform". (Golf clap)

Mark Kortum

Connecticut has become a rude state. Highest taxes, high unemployment, government corruption and crime, Crime everywhere else, Second Amendment violations, Eminent domain tyranny, Bad public schools, and Hartford, which is only a few steps behind Detroit. OH yeah and a Marxist governor too.

T Damian JackyTease

A "meltdown" would be most aptly defined as Michael Richards manic ravings in that comedy club. I think Dave feels he should be able to adapt to the situation as he sees fit. You paid to see him.

Kylor E Morte

This is unjust and beyond fucked, we need a mass extinction.

Ismar Sarajlic

well, they saw him. whats the problem ? listening to this redneck stupid motherfuckers, they obviously didnt pay to hear him.

Ismar Sarajlic

and then they whine that they "paid good money to see him"
    well they saw him, whats the problem ? if they paid good money to hear him maybe they would keep their fuckin redneck stupid mouths shut

Dick Darrow

Maybe It was just a bad set with a few assholes to turn on him and try to make things worse. Everyone has tough sets, everyone.

Keithen Stallings

Sometimes you have no patience for ignorance..whether you get paid for it or not. AT&T customer service reps have no patience for a-holes at times, moms have low patience for their own kids at times, husbands have low patience for their wives sometimes…and vice versa…difference between them and Dave…is Dave's will always be captured on camera. And you expect him to tapdance to make an awkward situation funny.

Christopher Raff

Talking during a show is literally the same as knocking the gun out of a cops hand while he is trying to stop a bank robbery. You are nothing but a fucking ass hole to do it. If you feel any different get your ass on stage and put it out there.

Matt Andrews

Jonathan Nathan A thousand times this.

Philly has a Comdey Sportz franchise. I really like the shows, but I stopped going for precisely the reasons Jonathan outlines in his post. I got sick of drunk people thinking the 10 seconds of audience participation gave them license to fuck with the performers throughout the whole show.

It will not surprise me in the least if it turns out many of the hecklers were drunken 20-something dudebros screaming for Chapelle to say "I'm Rick James, bitch!"

Michael D. Wright

Tired of these clowns smearing Dave… he does what he does with good reason.

J Christiaan Breen

2 years ago I saw DC at the Independent in SF, and he sat on a stool, smoked cigarettes, went on a few funny riffs, but mostly sat there unprepared with nothing to say, bullshitting with the friendly audience and casting about for ideas. "I don't know what to talk to you guys about, so….how 'bout them Giants?"

It was 50 dollars a head to sit through that—and he was doing two shows a night. Either he's given up, or he's pulling a Joaquin Phoenix.

Good luck, Dave. You were brilliant.

Keepin It Real in Hartford

Dave might want to block out all the screaming on his Chicago video if he really wants people to believe Hartford was too loud. Dave is a liar. Keep it Real Dave. You flatlined in Hartford.

The Laugh Button's most popular stories of 2013

[…] late summer when Dave Chappelle, while out headlining the Oddball Comedy Festival in Hartford, CT had issues with the crowd. We had a friend on the scene who helped us break the […]

[…] Laugh Button reported that Chappelle was on stage approximately 10 minutes before the crowd got too unruly, so he spent his time in stage reading a book, smoking, and talking […]