It’s that time of year when summer is in full swing and people are out celebrating ‘Merica, the good ole U.S. of A. So as we celebrate or independence by searing meat and setting things on fire remember to do something good for your fellow man, like provide them with a laugh. They just might need it.
– Although San Francisco’s Outside Lands Festival is well known for its music choices, its comedy lineup this year is also supremely notable, boasting Tig Notaro and Upright Citizens Brigade, among others. Both Notaro and UCB made other waves this week: the former’s Netflix documentary released its first trailer this week, and the latter celebrated twenty-five years together this week, swinging by the Today show to reminisce on their beginnings.
– Like any envelope-pushing celebrity on a hot streak, Amy Schumer has found herself in the middle of a somewhat baseless controversy that she addressed pretty well.
– We continued documenting Myq Kaplan’s cross-country tour, which ended this week.
– Chris Farley’s undying legacy is solidified in the upcoming documentary I Am Chris Farley, which drops a month from now. This just-released trailer has us pretty excited for it.
– Jason Sudeikis and Alison Brie co-star in upcoming film Sleeping With Other People, which features behind-the-scenes work from Will Ferrell and Adam McKay.
– No trailer yet for Paul Feig’s upcoming Ghostbusters reboot, but some on-set pictures leaked this week.
– Billy Eichner starring in a sitcom is something we all need. Hulu’s upcoming sitcom Difficult People (as though Eichner’s Parks and Recreation character weren’t difficult enough) provides exactly this.
– Key and Peele‘s fifth season isn’t too far away now; check out a sketch preview from it.
– In the wake of Taylor Negron’s passing earlier this year, Comedy Dynamics has organized some of his stand-up sets for LA series Uncabaret, issuing a posthumous album with these set fragments. We think it’s pretty cool.
– After three years, Paul F. Tompkins is ending his excellent webseries Speakeasy. It’s disappointing to learn, but his reasons involve focusing on his other projects, all of which are incredible, so that redeems this a bit.
– Battle of the Jons: Hamm crashed Stewart’s most recent Daily Show episode to recap Stewart’s best musical moments in the longtime host’s soon-to-end run.
– We’re taking comedy on the road with the Vans Warped Tour, and you can read our diary about it.
– After far too long, Rick and Morty is returning. Check out this trailer in anticipation of July 26.
– Stephen Colbert is doing some pretty fun stuff between his two TV shows. He recently interviewed Eminem on a Michigan public access show. It was exactly as hilarious as you’d expect.
– This week’s guest for our podcast was none other than Matt Iseman, host of American Ninja Warrior.
– Hannibal Buress hotly anticipated solo TV show, Why?, coincides with Shark Week, so Shark Hannibal became a thing.
– Craig Robinson will play a character that’s seemingly at least somewhat based on his real self for the upcoming NBC sitcom Mr. Robinson. Watch him in action here.
-The official trailer for Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp has arrived.
– We learned about what’s going on with Donald Glover’s new TV show.
– Meanwhile Joe Dirt 2 is happening.
– John Roy wrapped the week with a killer set on Conan.