Comedy Central is providing the most comprehensive and multiplatform look in late night of the 2016 Republican and Democratic National Conventions.
The Daily Show with Trevor Noah will feature increased convention coverage programming and additional content, a unique on-the-ground activation in Cleveland, launches on SiriusXM and Amazon, and a series of specials on Snapchat. The show is expanding its reach and distribution across digital and striking new ground for late night talk shows.
As previously announced, The Daily Show will be the only late night show originating from on location at both the RNC in Cleveland and the DNC in Philadelphia, producing a special week of shows in each city. The Daily Show with Trevor Noah Presents The 2016 Republican National Convention: Submission Accomplished will originate from The Breen Center for the Performing Arts in Cleveland from Tuesday, July 19th – Friday, July 22nd, and The Daily Show with Trevor Noah Presents The 2016 Democractic National Convention: Let’s Not Get Crazy will originate from the Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia from Tuesday, July 26th – Friday, July 29th. The two-week special convention coverage will premiere nightly at 11:00 p.m. ET/PT on Comedy Central.
To kick off the convention coverage Comedy Central will telecast two specials hosted by Noah on the Monday of each convention week. The clip-based specials will provide fans with a look back at the primary season and examine how the two candidates arrived at these culminating moments in time. The RNC special, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah: The Road to ‘The Road,’ debuts July 18 with the DNC special, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah: What to Expect When You’re Expectant debuting on July 25. Both specials will air at 11:00 p.m. ET/PT.
On the digital front, Comedy Central and The Daily Show are further cementing the show’s status as the most multiplatform late night talk show with the announcement today of three new partnerships on platforms led by SiriusXM, Amazon and Snapchat. These are firsts for any late night talk show on the respective platforms. The initiatives are:
- SIRIUSXM SIMULCAST: SiriusXM will launch and exclusively simulcast “The Daily Show” on Comedy Central Radio (channel 95) starting on Tuesday, July 18 making “The Daily Show” the first late night talk show to simulcast episodes on radio.
- AMAZON’S ALEXA: The Daily Show will launch on the Amazon Alexa voice service on Monday, July 18, making it the first late night show to appear on the platform. With a launch timed to the show’s coverage of the national conventions, fans with Alexa-enabled devices will have access to a “Daily Show” Flash Briefing featuring a daily bit of news from the show. Fans can enable the new Alexa skill from the “Daily Show” to get content such as segments about candidates and upcoming guests.
- SNAPCHAT: The Daily Show Convention Coverage 2016: Democalypse Now, a three-part special on Snapchat, will premiere on Friday, July 15th to coincide with the show’s coverage of the national conventions. The specials will feature exclusive short form episodes produced by the show featuring Trevor and the correspondents as it travels to these key political events. The first episode debuts on Friday, July 15th with a lead up to the conventions; episode two will launch on Friday, July 22nd with unfettered RNC coverage and episode three will culminate from the DNC on Friday, July 29th.
On the ground at the RNC in Cleveland, Comedy Central will stage an activation, turning this “circus-esque” political season into a fully interactive, comedic and social experience with games and activities for all ages, regardless of party affiliation. The Daily Show Convention Sideshow, free and open to the public, will be located at 2400 Superior Avenue E in Cleveland and be open from noon-5:00 p.m. on Sunday, July 17th and Monday, July 18th. The activation will include the following activities:
- RUN FOR THE BORDER: As the marquee activation, Run for the Border offers attendees a chance to put their political passion to the test with an interactive game that’s fun for everyone. The activation is oriented in front of an expansive digital projection and features a row of seats equipped with hand controls that propel on-screen avatars in a race to the nearest border.
- THE HALL OF NOT PRESIDENTS: Puts a political spin on fun house mirrors, featuring a hallway full of satirical hairstyles and pantsuits, commonplace to the political landscape.
- THE YUUUGE WALL: Bringing the issue of border control to life with a literal huge wall installation. Complemented by politically-inspired graffiti penned by Cleveland-based artists, participants will also have the chance to leave their own mark.
- GRAB-A-DELEGATE: Participants compete for bragging rights by stepping into a glass wind machine booth and tasked to grab as many paper props as they can (think faux “dirty money” and one nominee’s “deleted emails”).
- HOT BUTTON ISSUES: This whack-a-mole inspired game gives players a fun way to drop the proverbial (foam) hammer on politics and punditry antics, from gun control to climate change to immigration.
- THE DAILY SHOW DESK: The best seat in the house! Positioned as a lounge area with a full-sized replica of Trevor Noah’s Daily Show desk, this activation is designed for shareable photo moments as attendees can snap photos from Noah’s chair.