The new year is upon us! Before we all head out into night, drink way too much alcohol and then head out into the cold night where we will on doubtedly blow sparkly things up and kiss someone at midnight we thought we’d take a look at the most popular stories that we covered in the year 2013.
A lot has happened over the last 12 months and we were there for about 80% of it. In case you happened to miss them, here’s a rundown of The Laugh Button’s stories of 2013.
- We kicked off the year with a list of our comedians to watch in 2013 and our readers responded by referencing the list throughout the entire year.
- Hands down one of the biggest stories in comedy this year was when in the late summer when Dave Chappelle, while out headlining the Oddball Comedy Festival in Hartford, CT had issues with the crowd. We had a friend on the scene who helped us break the news.
- We Love Will Ferrell and the character of Harry Caray he always did on SNL. Someone took the folk revival musical trend and mixed Ferrell’s character into the song. The result was this video that won the internet.
- Louis C.K. was all over the place this year, on tour, promoting his new HBO special, and to plug his new Woody Allen film. This appearance on Letterman was particularly great because it also included him telling a story about a time he saw a dead body and talked about Andrew Dice Clay.
- The 6 second video app Vine really took off in 2013 and comedians flocked to it to show off their personalities. With that being said, we came up with this list and our readers responded.
- Comedy Central launched a Roast of James Franco and we thought we’d come up with our best jokes from the night. Readers agreed. We also ran down our list of the most memorable roast sketches and our readers ate that up as well.
- During the NY Comedy Fest, The Laugh Button was on the scene at Anthony Jeselnik’s stand-up show where he revealed that his show, The Jeselnik Offensive had been cancelled. The news we broke traveled far and wide, ending up running in numerous other news publications. Not to be outdone, other stories we covered on Jeselnik including the Boston Marathon Bombing joke and a joke about surfers gained traction.
- At Just For Laughs Montreal, Colin Quinn delivered a terrific keynote speech to the comedy industry. We were there to document the occasion.
- When it was revealed that a popular Youtube personality was ripping off Patrice O’Neal jokes, a firestorm erupted.
- We asked Don Jamieson to review the popular TV show The Walking Dead based solely on what the public was tweeting about it. The results were magical.
- In November we were invited up to Boston for the Comics Come Home show. We took our cameras with us and got a behind the scenes look at the action and filed these awesome pictures of comedians in action.
- People really liked the cover art for Iliza Schelsinger’s new stand-up album. Pervs.
- With the much buzzed about return of Arrested Development we came up with the list of definitive Arrested Development lists.