Last week, Bill Cosby spokesperson Andrew Wyatt went on Good Day Alabama to discuss the disgraced comic’s summer plans, after his highly publicized trial over sexual assault allegations ended in a surprising mistrial.
Wyatt told Alabama that Cosby was planning a cross-country tour of “town hall” style events focused on educating young people (specifically young men) on how to avoid the kind of trouble the stand-up has found himself in after over 100 allegations of sexual assault have now been leveled against him.
At the time, Wyatt claimed Cosby would be hitting the road to talk about assault prevention, explaining:
“This issue can affect any young person, especially young athletes of today, and they need to know what they’re facing when they’re hanging out and partying, when they’re doing certain things that they shouldn’t be doing. And it also affects married men.”
Predictably, the interview didn’t go over too well online, and Cosby and his team were flooded with negative press and feedback following Wyatt’s announcement.
Now, Cosby himself has made an official statement, aiming to clarify what Wyatt meant, and to explain his intentions.
“Cosby himself took issue Tuesday with the notion of a ‘sexual assault tour,’ dismissing it as propaganda, though he left open the possibility of some future event.
‘The current propaganda that I am going to conduct a sexual assault tour is false,’ Cosby said in a statement. ‘Any further information about public plans will be given at the appropriate time.'”
TIME also adds that Cosby is currently in the midst of 10 lawsuits from accusers, with more supposedly to come.