The story is getting more and more familiar, the Coronavirus pandemic is forcing the public to socially isolate. In markets all over the nation mandates are being signed that restrict public gatherings, forcing venues to close including bars, clubs, and theaters in which comedians make their bread and butter. As the shutdown continues, these venues have staff that work very hard in these clubs and right now a lot of them are out of work for an indefinite period of time.
With that said, we’re getting reports from around the nation of fundraisers being set up in an effort to raise money for down-on-their-luck club staffers in need of financial support during this difficult time.
Here’s what we know of and how you can help out your local comedy club staff. If you’ve ever stepped foot in any of these clubs, toss them a virtual tip if you can and help them out.
- Bark Entertainment’s staff of 4 comedy clubs (Tacoma Comedy Club, Spokane Comedy Club, Skyline Comedy Club, and Bricktown Comedy Club
- Carolines on Broadway is looking to raise a lot of money
- The staff of the DC Improv
- Mike Birbiglia has set up a page with various GoFundMe pages dedicated for some of his favorite comedy clubs around the US.
- NY Comedy Club has its own donate page on its website
- The Stand in NYC is raising money for its laid off staff
- On March 20th, Nate Bargate is hosting a comedy roundtable on his Youtube page to raise money for the staff of Zanies Nashville and Stand Up Live in Huntsville, AL
- Mike Birbiglia is doing a series of live streams from his Instagram account to benefit various clubs like the Stardome Comedy Club in Birmingham and the DC Improv
- Both UCB NY and UCB LA staff are asking for help
- Wiseguys Comedy Clubs in 3 Utah locations (Salt Lake City, Ogden, Jordan’s Landing)
If you are aware of any other comedy club staff with a fundraisers happening, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the details and we’ll add it to the list.