Just For Laughs Montreal is awesome for going out of its way to support rising talent, so we went out of our way to spend some time there this week. After the festival revealed its hotly anticipated New Faces of Comedy roster this week, Dana Gould gave the festival’s keynote speech, and we laid our eyes upon the Goddamn Comedy Jam‘s appearance there.
Elsewhere in the comedy world this week:
– It feels like we’ve been talking about Tig Notaro’s upcoming HBO special forever, and it’s finally kind of close. Check out this teaser in advance of its August 22 release date.
– Scott Aukerman and his absurd, amazing Comedy Bang! Bang! writing staff will helm the comedic content of this year’s Emmy Awards ceremony, which Aukerman’s friend Andy Samberg will host.
– Bo Burnham added a whopping 32 more tour dates to his schedule this week, and in December, he’ll end this tour with a live taping.
– Just in case you forgot how Judd Apatow got so funny, here he is returning to stand-up comedy for the first time in 23 years.
– Jay Pharaoh has a special landing next Saturday, but you can preview it now.
– FX knows how to select its shows. Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll premiered to the network’s strongest ratings to date.
– Things are going pretty well for Russell Howard, according to his conversation with us recently.
– When The Muppets‘ new ABC series begins this fall, it might look something like this.
– Can you believe we’re approaching our thirtieth podcast? Neither can we, but our 27th episode from this week is stellar enough to hold us off until then.
– The Eugene Mirman Comedy Festival will return for an eighth edition this fall in good ol’ New York City.